Monday, October 10, 2011

Things I Didn't Know


  • There was a court ruling that said "teacher observation" is an inadequate way to determine whether a goal has been met or not.
  • There has to be a well defined, easily accessible (for parents) method of determining necessity of an Extended Year Program. Regression is not the only criteria they can use to determine eligibility.
  • There have been requirements for adequate teacher training since 2004. This includes training particular to your child's disability(ies).
  • IDEA 2004  raises the quality of  FAPE. NCLB actually did accomplish something.
  • I didn't know you had to save up Mojo before an important meeting. I smiled sweetly Friday. I will spend the  next 4 weeks, until we reconvene, lining up my ducks.

8 comments:

JB said...

This is great stuff! Where did you find it. I would love to be able to pull out the ESY-regression part at my next IEP meeting.

GB's Mom said...

JB- look at
http://www.wrightslaw.com/info/esy.index.htm
for the ESY-regression part.

jwg said...

Can I come? Please? I promise to behave but I want to be there when you evicerate them. I gather they don't know who they are dealing with. Here's a litle bit of intimidation that might help. Get any written copies of the appropriate regs together, as well as whatever handbooks you have on your child's rights, and put little post-its at each applicable part, preferably color coded.Make sure they stick out. It sends a subtle "Don't mess with me" message. Or, as my son said when I used this at my grandchild's CSA "They sure know who not to f--- with."

GB's Mom said...

jwg- of course you can come! I can bring anyone I want to!

Accidental Expert said...

Thanks so much. We're heading into IEPs right now, so these are wonderful tidbits to know.

Anonymous said...

I can see it now ... just before the ARD introductions, you hand out duck hats to everyone ... : )

Kristine said...

I'd like to come too and see how it is done by a master! I know I would learn so much!

GB's Mom said...

Kristine- the moral support would be welcomed!