Thursday, October 28, 2010

Ms. (very young) Teacher

Today Hope officially turned 5. Of course she wanted to bring cupcakes (pink, purple, light blue Han*na Mon*tana cupcakes) into school this morning. It is also the day they have Halloween Parties and a costume parade. Rather then put them on the bus, I choose to drive them to school. I made sure to arrive before the other children entered the building so that I would have a couple of minutes to touch base with her teacher, Ms. VY Teacher. Ms VY Teacher really didn't want to talk to me and made that very clear. The three teaching assistants in the room couldn't wait to tell me how wonderful Hope is and that they could just eat her up. I told them it is very important that proper boundaries were used with Hope. They assured me nobody minds cuddling Hope, she is just a baby. Sigh. I gave them (and Ms. VY Teacher) my RAD handout again, and went to find the Chairperson of the CSE. We were suppose to complete Hope's IEP my the middle of October and I haven't heard from her. Emails go unanswered, phone calls are not returned. Mrs. Chairperson was hanging out in a meeting room and I politely suggested we go back to her office and discus the difficulties we were having with our communication. I reminded her we were suppose to meet in the middle of October to complete Hope's IEP. Mrs. Chairperson said that had been impossible, since none of the evals (speech, OT, and PT) were completed yet. Sigh. I told her that was not acceptable, they needed to be done and I wanted Hope's meeting scheduled ASAP. We agreed on Monday, November 8th at 10:30. She assured me the evals would be in hand and ready to go for the meeting. I reminded her I needed copies of all evals AT LEAST 3 days before the meeting. Sigh. My school district uses IEP Direct to write their IEPs. It is a point and click program for writing IEPs that I have also used in the past. I told Mrs. Chairperson that the most important goal, right now, for Hope, was learning personal boundaries. Mrs. Chairperson said that wasn't a possible goal for Hope and I told her to look under the social/emotional category. I am afraid Hope's school year is going to involve a lot of personal attention from me. It is hard- she really is cute.

5 comments:

Psycho Mom said...

I guess we could look at the positive and be glad that one of your younger daughters has a teacher who is getting it. But truly, they all should. Sorry they are turkeys!

Anonymous said...

I was a parent back when the IEPs were on paper and there was a nice array of modifications printed right there in front of me so I had a chance to see what they all were.
I think they switched to the stupid computerized ones just to make the process harder for parents. I can't follow what they are doing on-screen because everyone else in the room knows what section of the page is being talked about, and they scroll around so fast and, of course, they only show the modifications that have been agreed to.
Good thing you know so much!

Mom 4 Kids said...

I am so glad that you are sharing this and I am looking forward to seeing how you handle this through out the school year. This is an on going issue for us with Miss Fab because she is cute as a button and manipulative.

You are awesome!

Miz Kizzle said...

Yikes! I cringed when I read the part about the classroom aides saying they wanted to "eat her up" that is so wrong on so many levels. They need to get their act together and get serious about Hope's IEP. This is a crucial time for her and the delay is unacceptable ion their part. BTW, can I please have access to you other blog?

GB's Mom said...

Miz Kizzle- I would gladly give you access. I need an email address to send the invite to.