Friday, July 27, 2012

The Present and Past Meet

Last night, The Dad and I went to a parent support night for Hope's waiver program. Out of the 45,000 children who live in our county, are between 5 - 17, and therefore eligible for the program, there are 12 children receiving services at any one time. One of those twelve children is Hope. In Hope's class of 6 children, one of the other girls is also in the program Hope is in. So out of the 12 children deemed most in jeopardy of placement in our county, not only are two in the same small school district, the same elementary school, and the same age, but are also in the same class. Poor Ms. Very Young Teacher.


Last night's session was centered around attachment disorders and RAD. I didn't really want to go, frankly because after this week, I was not in the mood to discuss Hope at all. Especially when I heard they had lined up a play therapist to speak. There was a tornado warning, I didn't want to think about Hope, and I wasn't feeling positive about any of it. I went anyway.


I found a corner to sit in. When the speakers walked in, Joe was instantly excited. I forced myself to get off FB and looked to see what he was excited about. The speaker wasn't just any play therapist. It was someone I used to know quite well. During the 3 1/2 years she was seeing GB 3 X a week for play therapy, she was also trying to adopt from Guatemala. Just as GB graduated from Brookside to go off to kindergarten, Jose came home. The night turned into an unexpected, enjoyable reunion.


She had left Brookside the same time as GB to work the more flexible hours of private practice and spend time with her new child. Jose is six now. She was so excited to hear how secure GB's attachment to us was and that GB was doing a great job (mostly) keeping those feeling verbal. Jose is now in school, and she is back working full time, only half the distance away that the last therapist was. I do not know where I am going with this, but possibilities are swirling around my head right now.

6 comments:

Vertical Mom said...

What a blessing!! Hooray for old friends and renewed relationships with lots of possibility!

Loosey said...

You deserve some better fortune, maybe the waiver program will pay for Hope to see her?

Loosey said...

You deserve some better fortune, maybe the waiver program will pay for Hope to see her?

Loosey said...

Ooops, sorry. Always forget the back button makes posts double on here!

Ms. G said...

How lovely would an unexpected happy circumstance be? I hope those ideas pan out : ) Been back reading a bit, you've had a whole lot going on. Hold tight to those glimmers,she's so lucky to have you to hope for her.

Marianne Milton said...

Perhaps this therapist will be able to work with Hope as well. Funny how meetings that promise to be icky and meaningless (at best) can sometimes turn around so promisingly.

Recently, I've been reading as much of your blog as I can find time for. Wow---you and your husband have worked so hard and devotedly to nearly impossible parenting for so many years. I'm humbled and impressed and inspired.

I'll continue reading. I wish you a good-enough week while your husband and GB are out of town.

Sigh ...